For our inaugural "Some Thoughts From" post – a series of short features some of the industry’s most notable designers, editors, models and other industry insiders, sharing their thoughts on anything and everything fashion – avant-garde romantic, Rick Owens, takes on exercise, black, and uniforms.
1. Working out is modern couture. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead.
2. Hair and shoes say it all. Everything in between is forgivable as long as you keep it simple. Trying to talk with your clothes is passive-aggressive.
3. Jean-Michel Frank, the thirties interior and furniture designer, supposedly had 40 identical double-breasted gray flannel suits. He knew himself and is a wonderful example of restraint and extravagance.
4. With layering, sometimes the more the better. When you layer a lot of black you're like a walking Louise Nevelson sculpture, and that's pretty attractive.
5. There's something a little too chatterboxy about color. Right now I want black, for its sharpness and punctuation.