The fashion industry’s godfather of sorts, Karl Lagerfeld, is arguably known just as well for his often controversial remarks as his is for the creations he has sent down the runways for Chanel, where he took the helm in 1983, and Fendi, where he has served since 1965. In addition to specifically eschewing the need to be politically correct (You may recall him saying, “You want to create boredom? Be politically correct in your conversation”), Lagerfeld has also made no shortage of public misstatements on everything from Adele’s weight to Pippa Middleton’s face. Some of Karl’s most contentious quotes are below …
1. "Life is not a beauty contest, some [ugly people] are great. What I hate is nasty, ugly people ... the worst is ugly, short men. Women can be short, but for men it is impossible. It is something that they will not forgive in life ... they are mean and they want to kill you.”
2. On former muse Ines de la Fressange: "I wish her all the luck in the world, just so long as I don’t have to see her anymore or hear her spoken about."
3. "The thing at the moment is Adele. She is a little too fat, but she has a beautiful face and a divine voice."
4. "Kate Middleton has a nice silhouette. I like that kind of woman, I like romantic beauties. On the other hand, the sister struggles. I don’t like the sister’s face. She should only show her back."
5. "I had an interview once with some German journalist – some horrible ugly woman. It was in the early days after the communists – maybe a week after – and she wore a yellow sweater that was kind of see-through. She had huge tits and a huge black bra, and she said to me: 'It's impolite; remove your glasses.' I said: 'Do I ask you to remove your bra?'"
6. On women who object to thin models: "They are fat mummies sitting with their bags of crisps in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly … No one wants to see curvy women.”
7. "I'm rather pro-prostitution. I admire people who do it. It can't be much fun. Thank goodness for it. People need relief or they become murderers."
8. On Andy Warhol: "I shouldn't say this, but physically he was quite repulsive."
9. In response to a Newsweek, report describing him as "overrated" (a publication edited by former Vanity Fair editor-in-chief Tina Brown): "First of all, Tina Brown’s magazine is not doing well at all. She is dying [professionally]. I’m sorry for Tina Brown, who was such a success at Vanity Fair, to go down with a shitty little paper like this. I’m sorry."
10. On French President François Hollande and his new high taxes. "He's an imbecile. Hollande hates the rich. It's a disaster. He wants to punish them, and of course, they are leaving, nobody is investing. Foreigners no longer want to invest in France and it cannot work like that."
11. Lana del Rey is not bad at all. She looks very much like a modern-time singer. In her photos she is beautiful. Is she a construct with all her implants? She's not alone with implants."
12. "The body has to be impeccable as well-that helps a lot. If it's not, buy small sizes and eat less food."
13. “Kim [Kardashian's] contribution to beauty and fashion… is the fact that you don’t have to be super slim and very tall to be beautiful."
14. "Florals are for middle-aged women with weight problems."