Gucci is reaping the benefits of its new creative and management duo - creative director Alessandro Michele and CEO Marco Bizzarri - who have been in place since the beginning of the year. The famed Italian design house, which reported double-digit growth for the first time since 2012, confirmed its stellar turnaround with a 17 percent rise in third-quarter like-for-like sales, helping make up for a 10.9 percent drop in sales at sister brand Bottega Veneta.
Here are some of the other articles you may have missed this week ...
1. Isabel Marant has come out on top in a copying case against Mango. This case serves as a useful tool to compare French copyright law and the breadth of protection afforded by copyright law in the United States, where useful articles – such as shoes – are rarely protected in their entirety regardless of the level of originality at issue.
2. Virgil Abloh's Off-White Logos Are Everywhere But Are They Worthy of Trademark Protection? Abloh’s most noteworthy offering comes in the form of his brand’s logo – the diagonal line motif that is not in any way exclusive to Off-White.
3. Radical Transparency? H&M and Zara Are Actually More Transparent Than Everlane: So, just how transparent is Everlane really?
4. Nanette Lepore in Legal Battle with Licensee Over "Shoddy" Products: A licensing deal between fashion designer Nanette Lepore and Bluestar Alliance LLC has gone south according to a newly filed lawsuit.
5. Forever 21 Under Fire for Copying This Kanye West Merch "Parody": After taking a bit of inspiration from Kanye West’s Pablo tour merch earlier this year, Forever 21 is on the hook for copying another brand’s design that was copied from Kanye West’s tour merch.
6. When is a Polka Dot Protected by Copyright Law? Tyler Gregory Okonma, the American rapper and music video director better known as Tyler the Creator, added fashion designer to his repertoire in 2011 when he launched his collection, Golf Wang. And his latest collection bears quite a noteworthy similarity to Damien Hirst’s own polka dot printed designs.
7. German Financial Watchdog Investigating Hugo Boss for Insider Trading: Bafin has launched an insider trading probe into a drop in the price of Hugo Boss shares in February, a spokeswoman for Bafin said on Friday.