;
Image: Everlane
Share

1. FTC Nominee Khan Calls for More Scrutiny of Tech Giants’ Power: “The source of the power is the fact that you have basically these two main options, and so that gives these companies the power to really set the terms in this market. Certain terms and conditions really lack any type of beneficial justification, and so I think in those cases we need to be especially skeptical and really look closely.” – Read More on Bloomberg

2. Lululemon is testing a resale program where shoppers can sell and buy used items: Lululemon customers in California and Texas will be able to trade in gently used Lululemon items in a store or by mail in exchange for a Lululemon gift card. Then, those gently used items will start to be sold online. – Read More on CNBC

3. Why it’s so hard to eliminate plastic from the supply chain. Everlane has cut out 90% of virgin plastic, but the remaining 10% is proving tricky, as global recycling and manufacturing systems are not set up to address specialized objects (such as zipper teeth). – Read More on Fast Co.

4. RELATED READ: “Plastic-Free” Fashion is Not Necessarily as Clean or Green as it Seems. When they have been found in environmental samples, natural textile fibers are often present in comparable concentrations than their plastic alternatives. Yet, very little is known of their environmental impact. Therefore, until they do biodegrade, natural fibers will present the same physical threat as plastic fibers. – Read More on TFL

5. The high cost of India’s cheap garment exports: India exports garments, fabrics and raw materials for clothing, footwear and headwear, and every stage of production, for each of these items, is heavily dependent on the consumption of water. And the low prices associated with mass market fashion are achieved by keeping production costs low and low production costs, in turn, come at the expense of environmental protection and workers’ rights. – Read More on AlJazeera

6. The Human Cost of Fashion Is Taking Its Toll: “Brands that do not disclose their supply chains often say that it’s a business secret they won’t share for competitive reasons,” explains Sarah Ditty, global policy director at Fashion Revolution. “However, not a single brand that has disclosed their supply chain has ever reported losing a supplier to a competitor as a result of being transparent.” – Read More on British Vogue