You just might be wearing a fanny pack before you know it if a number of high fashion brands have anything to do with it. Sure, designers have tried over the past few seasons to bring back the fanny pack (remember the ones that Chanel showed as part of its January 2014 couture collection or the dare I say ... enticing ones that Hermès showed not too long ago?) to no avail. Despite their best efforts and reinvention of this tried-and-true accessory, consumers simply have not taken the bait en masse. But on the heels of the Spring/Summer 2017 mens shows and with the women's collection underway, publications are asking: Could this time around be different?
After Valentino, Lemaire and Carven showing the 90's staple for S/S 2016, brands followed suit this season, as well. During the S/S 2017 menswear fashion month, brands in Milan, such as Salvatore Ferragamo, Canali, and Versace, as well as Andrea Crews in London, among others, put forth upscale versions of this '90s staple that, in some cases, looked different enough from the original (or was styled differently enough, such as the worn over-the-shoulder look of Crews' or Y-3's versions) that they may do a better job of persuading male shoppers that it's a forward-looking accessory.
A number of women's labels, such as Stella McCartney, NewbarK, and Alexander Wang (for Balenciaga) - have been right on trend for a few seasons. For Spring/Summer 2017, Off-White, Chalayan, and Vionnet showed luxe fanny packs. Even Rihanna showed a fanny pack in her most recent collection for Puma. So, it seems this is a must-have trend in the making. if you're feeling bold, here are some options ...
1. Miguel Antoinne's Nylon Convertible Fanny Pack is a safe option for first-time fanny packers and is one of our personal favorites for its fuss-free aesthetic ($250).
2. We like New York-based brand Collina Strada's leather fanny pack for its minimalist design and its local (made in NYC) roots ($100).
3. Clare V.’s Fanny Pack in Jaguar Printed Nubuck is a stylish hands-free way to carry all your essentials, ideal for travel or a striking accent to your favorite pair of jeans ($259).
4. Not sold on the fanny pack? Try a mini version. C.A.B.'s heat embossed printed lamb hide in indigo is about as cute as they come ($125).
5. Erin Dana's Bond Street bag is another safe option. The slim chain makes it feel just a bit less frumpy than the other versions, don't you think? ($99).
6. Not ready to invest? That's alright. Snap up this affordable Silence + Noise version, which with its olive satin finish is actually pretty darn chic ($44).
7. The straight-forward belt bag is another way to go for those, who - like us - are still not completely on board with this trend. Phillip Lim's Hanna is a good one towards the upper echelon of the price spectrum ($595).
8. And last but not least, the Balenciaga moto-inspired belt bag. It is safe to you'll very likely attract street style photogs with this can't-go-wrong option ($895).
* This list is brought to you in part by Shopspring.com.