;
Image: Gucci
Share

1. How Jeff Bezos Built One of the World’s Most Valuable Companies: What Amazon is basically arguing is, the digital economy is all about connection. We have got to connect products (a classic razor and blade strategy: sell a cheap razor in order to make money on the blade) and connect customers (it becomes a flywheel effect, and it becomes a situation where it’s very hard for a new player to complete with Amazon). – Hear More on HBR

2. Something old, something new: Gucci revives classics to regain edgePeople born from 1981 onwards – Millennials and Generation Z buyers – now make up almost 60% of luxury purchases, Bain said, but brands cannot afford to neglect the remaining 40%. That is why on top of tweaking their ranges to include less trend-driven items, most luxury labels are directing their customer service to establish close contact with clients who are not able to go to the stores themselves. – Read More on Reuters

3. COVID is Exposing How the Global Fashion Industry Values Workers: The response to a COVID outbreak at a factory in Sri Lanka owned by a supplier for brands like M&S, Victoria’s Secret, Calvin Klein and GAP has workers saying they’re being treated like cattle. – Read More on Vice

4. RELATED READ: What Does COVID-19 Mean For the People Making Your Clothes?Many garment factory workers, and fabric and yarn producers in these countries were receiving less than a living wage, a figure defined as the minimum needed to provide adequate shelter, food and necessities, before the onset of COVID-19. This has not only made it difficult – if not impossible – for them to plan or save for emergencies, which is particularly problematic given that many are migrant workers without funds to return home. – Read More on TFL

5. Virus Cases Rise, but Hazard Pay for Retail Workers Doesn’t: They were hailed as heroes during the first wave of the pandemic, but wage increases were fleeting, and companies, whose businesses are booming, have been slow to pay out more. – Read More on the New York Times